On Jan 22, 2011, at 3:06 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> It's a book review by the New Republic's Art Critic, deconstructing a
> postmodernist work criticizing a lack of moral relevance in today's criticism
> of photojournalism . . . .

Well, I said I didn't mean to start a discussion, but I'm not able to resist
commenting on this. Yes, the article is a review, not an article on
photojournalism, but two things are reviewed, not one -- an appreciation of
Cartier-Bresson as well as the Linfield book. Far from being "postmodernist,"
Linfield writes in defense of the idea that photographs can communicate
important truths and have moral significance. That is about as anti-post-modern
as you can get. And far from being a "deconstruction" of her book -- or of the
essay on Cartier-Bresson -- the review is a sympathetic appreciation of it.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net