From: Paul Stenquist
Most major dailies are much less profitable than they once were, and
the good papers don't answer to shareholders. For example, the
Ochs-Sulzberger family has owned The New York Times for115 years, and
there are impenetrable barriers between ad sales and editorial. There
are still quite a few newspapers that are very protective of their
integrity and reputation. However, all realize that their print
market is shrinking, and  they have to transition to electronic
media. Many are achieving a measure of success on the web. The Times
website, for example,  attracts about 20 million viewers a month. It
doesn't yet generate enough revenue to make up for losses suffered by
the print edition, but it's revenues are growing.
Paul

When the NYT went to a subscription model for their online content, I bought a subscription. Gave the same content as the print edition plus online access to the archives but cost less than home delivery (especially home delivery out here in the boonies).

But, about six months into my first year's subscription to the online edition, the NYT decided to abandon the subscription model for online content. Didn't offer any (pro-rated) refund to those of us who had paid for a subscription, just let anyone who had not paid get the same level of access as paid subscribers.

I have not subsequently re-subscribed to the print edition.

-----
No virus found in this message.