On 24 January 2011 05:08, Ann Sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> I got back most of the stuff already, but nothing that I took in January...
> good thing I got the photo submitted to the
> book and the gallery and up on smugmug.   I had accidentally reformatted the
> 2 gig cf card in the Pentax  - Yes I knew I was reformatting, I jsut forgot
> that I had the good stuff on that card.... and that was before the drive
> crashed.
>
> I'll accept crossed fingers...   There is some goodnews about my photos but
> I'll save that for another post

Good stuff, you mentioned before it worked after you left it
unplugged? Something that's not been considered yet is that the
external power supply could be on its way out? I have a 500GB
Freeagent drive of about the same vintage and it hasn't skipped a
beat, no errors and I regularly test it, I have a near new eternal
Iomega drive next to me and it's toast and I had a WD enterprise
server drive fail the other day. In other words it's a crapshoot, all
drives can fail, all you have to do is learn not to trust them! ;-) I
always have my data on two drives and when I get enough data to fill a
DVD I burn one of those off for safekeeping too, it's tedious but can
save you a great deal of heartache later. If you haven't shot on the
formatted card yet (or even if you have) there are a few programs that
you can run to recover files from it. I've got back deleted *istD
files from my old CF card a few times using
http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours