I'll second the IP address being the problem. Look on the routers for a reset button, usually recessed. Press and hold for a few seconds. This should clear the prior settings.

jm

-----Original Message----- From: John Sessoms
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 10:39 PM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: RE: Totally OT - WiFi question

From: Jeffery Smith
I just got switched from AT&T to Cox Internet service. They gave me a
non-WiFi modem, so I tried to connect it up with one of my three
previous Wi-Fi routers (Belkin, Apple, Cisco), and could get all
three of the WiFi routers to work but not one of them will attach me
to the Internet (through wireless or through an ethernet wire from
the back). If I go directly from the back of the Cox modem to my Mac,
the internet comes up. For some reason, my WiFi routers cannot seem
to get the Internet signal from the modem. I tried 4 different
ethernet wires (between modem and router) just to make sure that
wasn't the problem. And I did make sure that the modem was connected
to the right ethernet connection (ingoing, not outgoing).

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here? All three routers
do make a connection with my computers, but no Internet signal is
detected.

Sounds like the routers may still have old IP addresses from whatever
ISPs they were last connected to. It may be as simple as telling the
router to release its IP and get a new one from Cox.

-----
No virus found in this message.