On Jan 27, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> On 11-01-27 12:03 PM, Steven Desjardins wrote:
>> My real objection is generalizations like "equipment doesn't matter".
>> For some shots it doesn't matter and for some it does.  My opinion is
>> that for a great majority it does make a difference.  Better equipment
>> is far less likely to be inappropriate for a particular photographic
>> situation than lousy equipment.
>
> Agreed, completely.  I don't think that I've ever said "equipment doesn't
> matter" myself, I certainly didn't intend to. If I really thought that, I
> wouldn't have upgraded beyond the Canon A75 p&s I had.
>
> I feel that equipment matters up to the point where it is not getting in the
> way. For some that point is really low. For others, quite high. Some people
> have great tolerance for work-arounds, some none.
>
> Oh, and of course equipment matters a great to deal to bling collectors--but
> for reasons I'm completely uninterested in.  Like I don't care about the
> retro look of the Fuji X100, I just know it's not for me because 35mm-e isn't
> a focal length that suits me much.

I'm definitely not a collector, but I can appreciate the beauty of the Fuji
X100. Of course I'd never buy one. It's too limited as a photographic tool. And
in terms of pretty cameras, a Barnack Leica is more handsome, and an excellent
one can be had for about a fourth of the Fuji's price.
http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2870904&size=lg