On Jan 27, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Paul Stenquist
> <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Agreed, completely.  I don't think that I've ever said "equipment doesn't
>>> matter" myself, I certainly didn't intend to. ...
>
> I've said "... Equipment often gets in the way of Photography. ..."
> quite often, never that it "doesn't matter".
>
>>> I feel that equipment matters up to the point where it is not getting in
>>> the way. ...
>
> Exactly.
>
>> I'm definitely not a collector, but I can appreciate the beauty of the Fuji
>> X100. Of course I'd never buy one. It's too limited as a photographic tool.
>> And in terms of pretty cameras, a Barnack Leica is more handsome, and an
>> excellent one can be had for about a fourth of the Fuji's price.
>> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2870904&size=lg
>
> A Barnack Leica is a pretty thing, but having shot with three of them
> for a period of 15 years I'd not want one again other than as a shelf
> decoration. The viewfinder is pretty wretched. I don't see where
> you're finding them for $300 ...  The lowest prices I find for a
> usable condition IIIf body and lens seem to be in the $500-700 range.
> But I haven't looked very hard.
>
> Of course, they use film and I no longer work with film, so an X100 is
> far far more sensible as a photographic tool at $1200 than a Barnack
> Leica is for $300. At least you get a really nice viewfinder for that
> price. ;-)
> --
You're right of course. I didn't meant to imply that I'd rather shoot with a
Barnack Leica. They're a pain. What I meant was that neither the Leica nor the
Fuji would serve me very well as a photographic tool, given the type of work I
do. So if I were to buy something merely because I thought it was attractive, I
would opt for the prettier Leica.

Bodies can be had for around $300 or less on ebay, although with a lens I'd
expect to pay $500. With the Summicron 50/2 in my photo, it's more like $600 -
$750.