I'm clearly not saying this well.  I keep saying the equivalent of "A
good photographer can take advantage of better equipment" and folks
keep translating it to "good equipment will make you a better
photographer."  To be clear, I think the former statement is obvious,
I think the latter is usually wrong, and there is a clear difference
between the the two.  If a good photographer can take advantage of
better equipment, then equipment clearly matters because they will
take the trouble to buy it.  To use the car example, this is like
saying, "you are a fine race car driver so you should be able to set a
track record in a Ford Fiesta instead of a an F1 racer".  Or going
into the kitchen of Chef Antoine and telling him he is a fool for
buying the best cookware when a chef of his caliber clearly doesn't
need it.

Every photographer is stuck with the skills they have at that moment.
The skills I might acquire in the future through practice are not
available to me today.  Therefore, for each photographer, the major
remaining variable is quality of the equipment.  A really good
photographer can get good pictures with inferior equipment.  Chances
are he/she would do even better with better equipment.

I admit folks, I fail to see why this idea is so controversial.   The
best photographers often buy the best equipment.  Maybe they can
overcome inferior equipment, but I simply point out that very few of
them bother to take this route.

--
Steve Desjardins