2011/2/6 mike wilson <m.9.wil...@ntlworld.com>:
> I use Netscape 7.2 for the mail application.  I already had the
> installer file but, when I installed it, I could not get the programme
> to start. Downloaded a new version of the installer and the same
> problem.  It installs with no difficulty but will not react to
> clicking on the desktop shortcut or going to the .exe file and
> directly clicking on that.

That sounds like a security issue. Microsoft added a layer of
precaution against downloaded executables at some point which may well
have been XP SP3. You can check if this is an issue with your .exe by
right-clicking it in Explorer and choose properties. On one of the
tabs (possibly the one you open by default) there will be an
explanation about downloaded files being potentially harmful and
bla-bla, but also a button that allows you to clear it of the
"quarantine". You may have to restart your system afterwards.

But as the others have said, you're probably better off with T'bird.

Regarding the old mail stores, maybe you can use this extension to T'bird:
http://www.nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/