On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:47:39AM -0600, Charles Robinson wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2011, at 9:15, Thibouille wrote:
>
> > Thouse from Houston won't be tagged, those from Boston will tagged but how?
> > Geoloc on the net is AFAIK VERY imprecise. If it is just to get the
> > town name, not very useful, really.
> >

> ..and it really only gives you the position of your access provider.
>
> Any "auto-locate" software which I run while at my house tells me I'm in a
> suburb 20 miles away... because that's the data center for my ISP.
>
>  -Charles

I believe you're confusing two different technologies.

One is based on IP address - that's the one that returns the position
of your ISP.  The other - the one that SkyHook uses - is based on a
proprietary database that contains actual positions for W-Fi hotspots,
cell towers, etc.  I suspect this is the sort of data that Google were
trying to collect when they recorded data from wireless networks (and
got themselves into a whole lot of trouble for violating privacy laws).

If you drive past my house, you'll see the SSID of my wireless network.
That's probably in SkyHooks database, tied to my actual street address.