Hi Paul: F2.8 across all focal lengths on the DA* 50mm-135mm is great to have. Doesn't have the reach of 200 or 300, but the pics are very sharp, and if you can use your feet to get closer to make up for the reach, well, you'll love the lens. Cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Ewins" <paulew...@optusnet.com.au>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:47 PM
Subject: The right zoom

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a zoom to complement the 17-70/4 which I recently acquired to replace the 18-55 kit lens. I'm looking for quality optics without huge weight or huge price.

If the 60-250/4 was a little cheaper and a little lighter it would be a done deal, but it isn't.

Weight will probably also rule out the 3rd party 70-200/2.8 lenses. I already own a manual focus Tokina 80-200/2.8 and it is larger and heavier than I want to carry around all day.

I also own the 18-250 which is a great compromise for travel, but I want something for when I don't have to compromise as much.

The contenders seem to be the 50-200 and 55-300 (although I don't know if they are actually an improvement over the 18-250) or one of the FA or F series of which the F70-210 seems to be the best. The 50-135/2.8 could be regarded as an outside bet, but I'd prefer a longer zoom range. Ideally Pentax would have a compact 70-200/4 to complement the 60-250/4 but they don't and neither does any of the 3rd part manufacturers.

So, what say you - DA50-200, DA55-300, DA* 50-135, F70-210 or something that I have managed to overlook.

thanks,
Paul