On 2/9/2011 2:03 PM, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
Not to worry. I'm still happy with the K-5. Unlike the situation with
the rotten K-7, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, I do remember how gloomy and grim you were with K-7.

The spot problem isn't so bad that I couldn't use the camera. I'm just
waiting for things to settle down a little so I won't be without a
camera for well over a month which is the current waiting time for an
exchange through Pentax Germany.

I understand. Well, I hope too that given the current situation, I'll score a brand new camera produced after they've fixed their fabs. At worst I can always print the official statement from Pentax and go pay a visit our local service. They are known to be reasonable.

Besides, I'm waiting until all bodies made before week 50 in 2010 have
reliably been cleared out of the the system. We keep seeing reports from
people getting replacement cams with spots.

Well, replacement cams are on particular service conscience, so you know...

There remain a number of minor issues like the front-focus prob which is
of no concern to me because I don't use autofocus and there are still
too many mushy trigger buttons and unreliable rear thumbwheels. Not to
forget those mysterious stabiliser hick-ups in combination with the live
view.

My understanding that FF problem happens in only some of the cameras and under specific lighting conditions. And I read on PentaxForums that allegedly Pentax is working on firmware to solve this. So, this is not as fatal as stained sensor. I think I used live view less than dozen times in 1.5 years of owing K-7, so that is not a big deal. As for wheels and buttons - so far I haven't had any problems (knock on wood of my head...)

There is no doubt Hoya-Pentax have a massive QC problem. I suspect
serious underfunding or extreme profit pressure. It's sad to see how all
the good work done by the Pentax engineers is ruined by those controller
boneheads at the Hoya HQ.

That, unfortunately, is almost certainly true. Even if the number of complaints is exaggerated by forums and other public media outlets, it is still not making Pentax any good and I do have full trust in Pentax engineers, whereas I have full distrust /grin/ in, well, let it be politically correct this time, certain other departments of the company...

Boris