From: Paul Stenquist
On Feb 27, 2011, at 8:05 PM, eckinator wrote:

my Toshiba port?g? came with mc afee preinstalled so it is a
good thing my ISP offers complimentary mc afee or I'd have to
worry about how to do a /full/ uninstall - thing i hate most
about antivirus is how deeply it lodges itself in my system

I didn't uninstall McAfee, but I assume that once the free trial
expires, it will lie harmlessly dormant. Am I correct or nieve?
Paul

In my experience, it stays active after the "free trial" and periodically nags you about the virus definitions being out of date.

It *might* conflict with whatever alternative program you select, or it might not.

Uninstalling McAfee should not be difficult.

In windows XP or Vista you just go to the Start menu, select "Control Panel" and double click the "Add or Remove Programs" icon. Vista might call it "Add or Remove Windows Components" - I'm stepping through it on an XP machine while I write.

That opens a list of programs installed on the machine. Select the one you want to get rid of and it will have a button to "Change/Remove".

Follow the prompts.

-----
No virus found in this message.