On Mar 4, 2011, at 3:25 AM, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:

> That is not only dramatic, but also very effective in showing the
> damage.  Do you know how they do that presentation with the two images
> and the sliding arrow?  It is clever and innovative.

It's probably done with javascript.  I saw a very similar thing done with the
Queensland floods.  They were able to align the images very well so you saw
exactly the same view before and after.  A lot easier to do when you're working
with flat aerial photos I suppose :)

> The images show the sever physical damage that the city has suffered,
> and by doing so allows one to sense some of the intense human
> suffering (and death) that has taken place.

Indeed.  The "Corner of Lichfield, High and Manchester streets" is a scene I
ran past on my way back to the office.  Seeing that upside-down dome on the
road was totally surreal.

I didn't realise the Baptist Church had collapsed entirely.  It was damaged
quite severely in September and they had scaffolding holding the facade up.
That church is located next to the central fire station, and across the river
from the 9/11 memorial.

Cheers,
Dave