I've done the Haleakala (around 10,000 feet @ the top) down hill on Maui several times (used 'Cruiser Bob's outfit) several years ago - and am pretty sure we went at least 30mph in spots. We were required to wear full face helmets as used in auto racing. They had 'mega brakes' installed on some heavy duty frame bicycles. A little intimidating, especially on the bus ride up as the guides tell you about all the possible dangers - by the time you get to the top you're asking yourself if you still want to do it. But once you start it is quite a rush & you only have to pedal for a very small part of the total trip to the bottom.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob W" <p...@web-options.com>
Subject: RE: OT So, cyclists,....

From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
mike wilson

... how are your downhill skills?

This needs sound on and full screen for best effect.
http://www.wimp.com/urbanchile/

Note the correct attire.

I wimped out at passing the sheets of corrugated iron, end on, at about
30mph.

speaking as someone who broke his wrist failing to negotiate at 2 mph a bit of pavement raised less than one inch from the road, I'll give that a miss.