Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Colen" <l...@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: OT So, cyclists,....

On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Ken Waller wrote:

I've done the Haleakala (around 10,000 feet @ the top) down hill on Maui several times (used 'Cruiser Bob's outfit) several years ago - and am pretty sure we went at least 30mph in spots. We were required to wear full face helmets as used in auto racing.

Just because I'm pedantic, they aren't the same. Helmets for autoracing are SA rated, I presume the bikes use motorcycle helmets which are M rated by snell. Motorcycle helmets are better for protecting you against a single very large impact, like your head hitting the pavement at 80 MPH, while car helmets are designed to protect you against multiple smaller impacts, like your helmet banging against the roll bar as your car tumbles down the road. Car helmets also have a fireproof liner. I guess that not many people are trapped inside of burning motorcycles.

As far as I could tell these were full face helmets as used in auto racing as I had the identical helmet I had used in SCCA regionals.

They had 'mega brakes' installed on some heavy duty frame bicycles.

Sounds like a downhill bike. Full suspension, disk brakes and a bit heavier than standard mountain bikes.

Some sort of non disc brake - drum ? and no suspension at all other than the tires. This was before disc brakes were in use in production bikes.