On 11/03/2011 12:52 AM, AlunFoto wrote:
Interesting essay.
On one hand he advocates not to persist at something you're not good
at, in order to spend time doing things that brings you more sense of
achiement. On the other hand, all his examples revolve around monetary
reward as the sole gauge of achievement.

Shoots his own logic in the foot, in my opinion.

How do you figure that? He used one particular measure when a measure was specified, but he also made mention of the majority of his snow pictures doing nothing for him. The argument could just as easily be applied to non monetary gain activities.

If a person sucks at snow scene pictures (I know I do), and only shoots them out of some warped sense of duty, then they are better off shooting something that moves them to excel at, even if they aren't very good at it either. This is independent of earning money, a hobby photographer would do as well to heed this.

Another example: I'm the worlds worst dancer. I don't enjoy doing it, I'm quite clumsy on the dance floor, and have no desire to learn. So, I can force myself out onto the dance floor and be a horse, or I can sit at a table off to the side and take pictures of people dancing well (which is something I at least gain a marginal bit of enjoyment from doing).

Or better still, I can stay at home and build stuff in my workshop, which is something that I enjoy a whole bunch, and which I am passably good at.

--

William Robb