E-6 Slide film can be processed at home, but if slide film is discontinued, I doubt very much that chemicals to process it will be available commercially either. I might take a shot at making my own B&W chemicals but Color? I've processed small batches of E-6. I'd not be happy trying to make the chemicals before I processed it.

Sadly I kind of thought slide film would last longer. You really can't duplicate some of the uses for slides for high projected images at any kind of reasonable price in digital. Sure you can get a digital projector and display pretty good quality images, but a well exposed and processed 35mm slide in a fairly cheap projector will still blow away any but the most expensive digital projection system for image quality. If you only need to project slides occasionally it's a no brainer. I guess that option will soon be no more.