2011-03-24 22:18, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
Dimly is a funny name for a cat...

I don't know, I've had quite a few over the years for which some variety of "dim" was a good start at a name. :-)

At the moment, I have two cats (I've had as many as four at once). One is street smart and actually smart, too (for a cat). She's a little tortoise shell calico about 6.5 pounds (3kg). The other is a silver tabby that's much more muscular, bigger boned, taller, and longer. He weighs almost 9kg, about 10-12" tall at the shoulder, 32-33" torso and 12-15" tail. I think there's a good dose of Maine Coon in him, though he's a "Heinz 57" breed. He's a good sized cat. She's the runt of her litter.

But the little one beats the bigger one's butt regularly, in part because the big one seems to have an IQ just slightly higher than pond scum and the little one is a crafty little bitch. They're the same age within a month, he outweighs her by about 3:1 and he's got a "volumetric advantage" (he's 50% longer, taller, and wider than she is, at least). But he's the one with two notches in his ears (they're totally indoor kitties so we know for sure who did what to whom).

The big one is a lovable devil and extremely outgoing and friendly. But he's just stupid. He's lived in this house with me for 13 years, just like she has, but he's the one that forgets about the stairs, or how they work, or what they do, or something.

The little one trots right down and rubs on my leg and gets a pet or a snack or something. The monster sticks his head through the newel posts on the loft and whines at me (in the den below) rather than finding the stairs and coming on down and get his pet or snack. If I go to the foot of the stairs and call, though, he figures it out and hustles on down.

Which brings us full circle, and why I started this story: my big cat is /not/ the sharpest knife in the drawer, by all appearances. I should've named him something involving "dim". :-)

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)