Before Walt leaves for Kentucky tomorrow, I brought him down to twin lakes
beach / Schwann lagoon to see if we could find any cormorants.  Just before
dark, I saw an osprey flying with a fish in its talons. Shortly thereafter a
cormorant landed in the same tree, not far away.   I spent some time shooting
from across the lagoon with my 300/2.8 adaptall and its 2x TC. Just as the
light was fading, I realized that if I walked around the lagoon I could get a
lot closer, and in the fading light, I'd do better with the 300/2.8 from 100
feet below rather than 500 feet away across the lagoon.

I wasn't having tremendously good luck, I even tried the pop-up flash on the
K-5. Just as I was walking away, I remembered I had my AF540 in my pack.  It
took a few tries to get it to even fire, but once I did, and bumped up the ISO
to 4,000, I got some decent shots.

You gonna finish that?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5570042123/in/set-72157626252702803/

whatcha lookin at?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5570302097/

demon cormorant
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5570302411/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5570303399/

The flash didn't fire, so I played with with the shot a bit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/5570303399/

These and a few more that I've picked out are in this set:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157626252702803/

I've learned that for birding, especially late in the day, a monopod just isn't
enough. I'm gaining more respect for how skill, and equipment, intensive
birding is, and will probably stick with something easy, like photographing
dancers in dark rooms.