On 2011-03-30 11:59 , John Francis wrote:
I just wonder what our grandchildren (if we have any) will consider to be the
defining technology of their time. It's probably surfaced by now, but hasn't
yet progressed much beyond the laboratory.

an interesting article on one such tech surfaced today on TOP:

<http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/03/metamaterials-and-photonic-crystals.html>

however my thinking is that it's not technology per se, but the social structures technology has begun to enable, that will produce the most dramatic upcoming changes