On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> When you sign the print of a photo, if you put a date on it, is it the date
> the photo was taken, the date it was printed or the date it was signed?

When I sell prints, I usually sign on the rebate at the lower edge.
>From left to right:

location and year of the photo - edition numbering - title - signature
- month and year of printing

It's all part of the provenance of a photograph and should be recorded
somewhere. I sign on the rebate so that someone who doesn't want to
see it can always over-mat it, but it stays with the print. I also
usually provide an archival label on the back of the print with this
information.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com