On Apr 7, 2011, at 4:13 AM, Jens wrote:

> Hi List
> Hopefully some of you will know what to buy.
> A friend of mine wants to photograph dogs in action. She needs a camera, that
> will react quickly to presing the release button :-) She's not into
> photography as such, but needs a camera that can shoot moving dogs at a
> distance. Shoe doesn't min buying a DSLR. I guess maybe a 50-200mm lens would
> do the trick. Low noice would be perfect due to the need for fast shutter
> speeds.
>
> Which body and which lens should she boy?
> (I may be a Pentax, but that's not a "must".

Shutter lag tends to be a function of autofocus speed.  Shutter lag can be
pretty much eliminated if she can prefocus, hit the AF button and then click
the shutter.  Or, use the AF-C mode.

If autofocus is an issue, and she get's Pentax she'd definitely want either a
K-r or  K-5.

What is her budget? How often does she need to do these photos?  Could you go
and try a few and see which of your gear works, and get a better idea of what
she needs?

A lot of it is just going to boil down to skill, and practice. Throwing money
at the issue can make up for some, but not all, lack of skill. Chances are that
even most of the people on this list, which on average has pretty high
photographic skills, wouldn't get great shots their first time taking photos of
dogs in action. She may also want to get something along the lines of a monopod
or a Bushhawk.