The first camera I owned was this 10 year old's birthday present in July 1952,
a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye  with Kodalite Flashholder, and a soft plastic Kodak
Flashguard cover.  In the late 90s I found a vintage adaptor that allows you to
connect PC cords to this Bakelite Beast, allowing you to hook up your studio
lights. Also found a Kodalite Flashholder with a spring loaded blue hard
plastic Flashguard that flipped up out of the way while you popped a flashbulb
out and loaded another. That camera sits on top of my refridgerator, dust, but
loaded with Kodacolor, ready to go.

First camera I was photographed holding was in 1953. I cannot discern if it is
an early Polaroid, or some other horizontal folder. Even though I was small
(and skinny) back in those days, it looks awfully large to be the Zeiss Ikon
Nettar my dad brought back from Germany for me in 1953, a 120 folder. I still
have a few of the Ektachrome 2 1/4 mounted slides I shot with that beauty, but
not the camera.

The first photographs I shot were with my father's unknown brand Japanese twin
lens reflex. He replaced that with a German (not a Rollie) TLR in 1958. Still
have that, somewhere.

I also have the camera I used after graduating from Navy Photography School in
Pensacola, Florida. A 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Busch Pressman with several lenses mounted
on Busch lens boards. The US Navy provided me with lots of film, after I cut
down their 4 x 5 stock in the total darkness at NAS Miramar, loading up my
collection of film holders. Thank you, taxpayers. Oh, thanks also for the use
of your locked color darkroom only accessible by climbing over it's cinder
block wall after pushing up the hung ceiling panels. Nitrogen burst film and
paper lines; all the paper I needed to teach myself color printing. Eventually
got caught when they seemed to use much more 8 x 10 paper than their jobs
required, then noticing one gloomy day that my locker held all the scraps &
test prints. "But I taught myself color processing and printing! Doesn't that
count?" I still have some of the prints I made back then. Looking at them in
the past few years, I didn't do that good a job of teaching myself.

In 1965, without much historical research, when the carrier docked in Yakusaka,
 I rode into Tokyo on the train and purchased two Zenza Bronica S2 bodies,
three Nikkor and one Zenzanon lens, 4 interchangeable backs, and a bunch of
accessories such as filters, a focusing lever for the helicoil mount, and a
prism finder to supplement the waist lever folder that came with the bodies.
Only afterward I was back in San Diego did I read somewhere that the gear train
that advanced the film and cocked the shutter was crap. I never had the money
after that to upgrade the bodies to the 1969 release of the S2a model with it's
completely designed gearing. I never did have the S2 bodies fail on me, but I
spent seven years being very careful as I cranked on that knob and listened to
the gears gnashing while feeling the variable resistance that seemed to shout
"I'm going to break… I'm going to break…" then ending in a loud ker-thunk as
the mechanism became freewheeling once finished with it's task.

In 1966, I purchased a brand new Pentax Spotmatic, and my fate was sealed. A
year later I bought a black Spotty, a couple more M-42 lenses. Had not realized
that it was a mental ailment yet. And here I am. Black Spotmatic with it's ƒ1.4
50mm in the drawer next to my desk. Along with the three LXen.

On Apr 12, 2011, at 06:32 , Bill Owens wrote:

> In my case, it was a Brownie Hawkeye with flash that used Press 25 bulbs
>
> Bill

> the directions.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn’t need to lug a camera.”
–Lewis Hine