From: Mark Roberts

Paul Stenquist wrote:
>OMG! All one paragraph. It's unreadable.
>The part I managed to get through before my eyes and brain hurt seemed silly
and obvious.
There's a story Galen Rowell related in one of his books about the
post-workshop slide presentations he always used to have.

Each participant got to pick a number of their own shots from the
workshop to be shown. Now a slide can go into a projector 8 different
ways and 7 of them are wrong. And it's not always apparent to others
which orientation is correct. So Galen instructed everyone to mark
their slides with a dot in the upper right corner of the mount, viewed
from the side from which the slide looked correct. This tremendously
speeds up getting a couple of hundred slides into a carousel.

In every workshop, however, some people just couldn't get it right.
They either forgot the dot or put it in the wrong location. Rowell
observed that these people also invariably produced the weakest
photographs. He concluded that their lack of awareness/care/attention
in marking the slide was not just confined to slide marking but
affected their creative output as well.

Doug Brewer and I see a similar effect at the GFM photo contest we
judge: the people who mess up the (very simple) file-naming convention
never produce winning photos.

That doesn't, however, make the opposite true.

My file names were *PERFECT*!

Anyway, I think the article in question shows that a similar
phenomenon exists with regards to the written word.