Mark wrote:

>Doug Brewer and I see a similar effect at the GFM photo contest we
>judge: the people who mess up the (very simple) file-naming convention
>never produce winning photos.

>Anyway, I think the article in question shows that a similar
>phenomenon exists with regards to the written word.

I see that frequently at work. I get to review resumes and perform
technical phone interviews with candidates. I recently had a 16-page
double-spaced resume submitted from a guy with 10 years experience (my
30 years is condensed to 4 pages). The resume was so loaded with
grammatical errors I stopped marking it up. One 4-line bulleted
paragraph was repeated almost verbatim for four different employers.
The resume frequently explained how something worked vs. what the
individual did.

The phone interview went the same. Long rambling answers that did not
answer the questions. When I drilled down to elicit specific responses
they were vague or incorrect.

I instantly think that if this document is the single most important
document essential to your career success and so little attention is
paid to detail, content, and quality, what kind of software and
written documents will you produce for the client?

Tom