Glad you got it to work... FWIW, I have a MBP hooked up to a Dell
U3011, and my in-house tech support (and long-suffering hubs) had
similar issues getting the pair to play nice.  A mini display port to
display port adapter did the trick.  We also did some fiddling with
the default setting for the video card... I don't recall exactly what
the issue was, but I think there are two video cards in the MBP, and
we had to select the more vigorous one to use with the Dell
monitor...?

On the other hand, we never tried a musical/rhythmic intervention on
it, so maybe that would have worked, too.

:)
-c