If I open the aperture all the way it just gets more over exposed.  I
haven't seen the reversal effect you mentioned.  When I get the time
I'll sit down with it for a day and try every combination I can think
of and write down the results.  This will hopefully give me a system I
can use with a minimum of messing about.

Thanks for your help (and Paul's).

Leon