Hi,

I just made a little test the other day, an unmodified (yet) Pentax K-r
and the infrared photography. What I've found is the K-r has very strong
IR filter (about 20EV) so both high iso handheld and composing the
picture with Live View is impossible. Also using 'False color' IR
filters, such as the Hoya R72 is out of question as the amount of
visible red light will be too much.

So the only option to try IR photography with the K-r was the B+W 093
(830nm) filter, which normally let's only the IR light go trough with a
very very small amount of visible red. Well with the K-r that very very
small amount becomes quite more so the 093 on the K-r acts as the R72 on
a modded camera. I can't wait to get my hands on a 1000nm filter :)

Usually with bright sunlight 30 seconds, f4 at ISO 400 did the trick and
the worst case scenario is cloudy sky where ISO 1600 is needed. Normally
ISO 1600 is not noisy but together with long exposure, the noise (which
in case of Pentax it's more like a fine grain) is becoming visible.

A few pictures can be found on my flickr stream
( http://www.flickr.com/photos/timbah/5693966320/ ) if you want to see
the results.

Anyone tried IR photography with the K-5 / K-7 / K-x?

Regards,
.timber