From: Cotty <cotty...@mac.com>
To: pentax list <PDML@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: DPreview Review of Fuji X100

On 18/5/11, Godfrey DiGiorgi, discombobulated, unleashed:

>(I haven't read the DPR review and likely won't. Never did put much
>faith or find much credibility in what they have to say. But Cotty:
>I agree with you .. I'd much rather have an R-D1 or an M8 than an
>X100, even with only one lens.)
>
>I was all prepared to swoon over the X100 but playing with one found
>it quite underwhelming,
The big downer for me seems to be the fact that the manual focus is 'fly-
by-wire'. I have an HD camcorder that uses this system and for precise
manual focussing I find it fiddly - although (as they also mention re
the X100) accurate. It's fiddly because you turn the focus ring and and
action sends inputs through to the appropriate element(s) inside the
lens to move and achieve the desired focus - by electronic motors and
not direct contact. You might think this is fine, but I. dear reader, do
not. What it means in practice is that you turn the ring and it moves
the focus - but not in the same way as a pure manual actuation, as on a
good old-fashioned manual focus lens.

Cotty I had the fly-by-wire system on my Prius (the car not the camera). It always worked but there was the niggling worry that it was doing what it thought I wanted and not what I really asked to do. But I can't afford a new Fuji or a new car either. Don