From: mike wilson
On 19/05/2011 20:47, Bob W wrote:

> I keep the cards in Pelican card cases similar to this:
> <http://www.thepelicanstore.com/Pelican-0910-SD-Card-Case-1037.aspx>
>
> They're expensive, but worth it.
Except the words eggs and basket keep floating into my mind.  Granted,
it is bigger than the card by itself but that only reduces the risk of
losing it.  If you do, you lose eight times as many pictures.  I have
been using something like this:
<http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=61021>
But configured to carry four AA cells and one card in an inner case.
Just as difficult to lose as the Pelican case but only one card if
(when...) I do.

I think I'm the one who mentioned 8GB cards. I'm not so worried about losing a card as I am not having enough cards with enough storage along with me. The same argument could have been made against the 4GB cards. I originally settled on them because 1GB cards got hard to find, and all the images from a 2GB card wouldn't fit on one CD. The 4GB cards were just right for backing up to DVD.

Of course, that scheme kind of breaks down for the 8GB cards, but I'm no longer planning on carrying a stack of blank DVDs for backup when I've got that 250GB USB hard drive.

I keep spare cards in the slot inside the battery grip and my additional cards go into this:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/pixel-pocket-rocket-memory-card-holder.aspx

Bonus: The photo to the lower right shows what I'm trying to avoid.

The clear plastic window can display a business card, although I currently use it to carry a USB card reader. My experience is that most people are reasonably honest and will try to contact you if they find your card pouch.

The card reader I carry in the pouch is like this one:

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/M501-1150-main2.jpg

Less than $5.00. If the reader in my laptop goes bad it's going to be a PITA (and expensive) to replace. This I can just throw away and get another one.

Plus, it will work with Windoze and Mac so if I'm in another situation where I'm sharing someone elses' computer I don't have to worry about compatibility.

-----
No virus found in this message.