On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Daniel J. Matyola
<danmaty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very nice, Frank.
>
> I don't believe I've ever seen Red Grebes, let alone caught them on fi
> --- ah on pixels.  Still, they ain't cormorants.

I misnamed them.  They're ~red-necked~ grebes.  I see them quite
often, actually, but usually they're out on the lake, forty or fifty
yards out.  When they're on the lake, you've got to be quick because
they dive for fish and spend more time under water than above.  When
they're in one of the inlets (as they were here) they don't dive much
and are almost always seen in pairs, often chattering to each other.
They have floating nests near the shore - around here they're on
artificial floats put there specifically for them, but last year
several of them went unused.

Certainly not as plentiful as other waterfowl, they're visible enough
to not be uncommon.

Lovely little things...

Thanks for the comment Dan, and everyone else who commented.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept."  -Henri Cartier-Bresson