There is nothing wrong with shooting JPG if it works for you.  I shot
JPG when I first got my K100DS and switched to RAW when I took a nice
picture with tungsten WB outdoors.  That was enough to convert me.

LR imports pictures into it's database, and you work on the pictures
after that.  I import directly from my memory cards using a card
reader, and LR copies the pictures to my hard drive on my laptop.

The really nice thing about LR is that it is designed for batch work.
If you have a change that you need to make on many pictures, it's as
simple as syncing the change across all the pictures that you want to
make the change to.  Things like WB, exposure adjustments, vignetting,
lens corrections, etc.

In addition, the tagging and organization tools are worth having.
Being able to using tags and metadata to keep track of files and to
categorize them is a huge thing that people who don't use it may not
realize.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com