On 5/31/2011 01:51, Brian Walters wrote:
Do you point your conversion software at a folder of RAW images and let
it get on with the job while you watch the latest episode (or two) of
Mythbusters?  If so, isn't this just handing over the image processing
function to software?  Do you go back and 'tweak' the images?

I shoot exclusively in RAW (DNG since K-7) and process exclusively in LightRoom.

As a matter of shooting habit, I don't shoot too many takes of the same scene. In fact, I am not very trigger happy at all. Presently, my entire collection is about 40,000 images shot by me and by Galia combined over 7 years, starting with *istD back in 2004.

Therefore, when I am back from the shoot, I usually walk over all images one by one and process them. LR is simple to that end that it does not have layers and fancy editing. Tones, color balance, curves, vignetting, sharpening, removal of unwanted objects, straightening of horizontals/verticals - that about sums it up. So usually I spend like 2-3 mins per image. Obviously, if I am shooting a sequence (say of Anat playing with her toys), I start with one image and then use "Copy (editing) settings from previous" function and then apply a bit more tweaking only if necessary.

Even the bigger shoots for Galia's class (say, 200 images) I usually process completely within 2-3 hours. Though initial processing may take as few as 30 mins - say to remove the duds, pick out the good ones and process few of them so as to get an initial feeling of it while the memories of the mood and light are still fresh.

If I see an image that I don't want to process now or one that I cannot process within 3-5 mins, I would leave it be and return to it later. "Later" can be anywhere (or should it be anywhen? :-) ) between 1 day to 1 year.

Obviously, when I need to produce final cut so to say, I use a batch mode. E.g. for Galia's class I would select all the images I want to export and apply one of the export settings at once. It usually takes no more than 10-15 mins on my computer.

Boris