> My A* 400 f2.8 is pale green.

Thanks for the "green report", Mark.  Knowing that there is at least
one other pale green big A* lens out there helps show that I am not
crazy just because I mentioned that mine is green.  (Of course, I
still might be crazy, but proof of same will require some other
evidence - <g>.)

I do hope to hear from other big A* lens users (and any others that
have seen any of the big A-Stars and happened to notice their barrel
coloring).  Judging by Paal's recent expression of disbelief at my
"green report", I am assuming that his A* 300/2.8 may not have been
green.  So, I am curious if there might be differences between
models, or production differences over time.

Also, now that we have established that I am not crazy for thinking
my lens is green (unless maybe we ~both~ are nuts, Mark - <g>), I am
curious as to the significance/advantage of the green barrel
coloring.  Hmmm...

Fred