> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Paul Stenquist

> >> http://pictureisunrelated.memebase.com/2011/06/03/wtf-photos-videos-
> >> and-theyve-never-been-happier/
> >>

> > it used to be quite common when I were a lad for us mum to give us a
> slice of bread and dripping. Delicious it were. Dripping is the lard
> that's been used then poured into a bowl, put in the fridge and used
> again later.
> >
> > Of course a few years of London sophistication put a stop to that
> diet,
>
> Sophistication is frequently a rather unhappy concept, and very often a
> self-imposed sack cloth.. Many top chefs have rediscovered lard. It can
> be a very fine and useful ingredient.
>
> Paul

Indeed, and now they're competing with the petrol companies.

According to this article in the French weekly Nouvel Observateur, farmers are
looking for ways to turn the surplus fat from fois gras production into fuel:
<http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/actualite/planete/20110512.OBS2997/roulez-a-la-graisse-de-canard.html>