On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 05:33:59PM -0400, David Parsons wrote:

> Are we going to keep referencing Effective Focal Lengths of 135 film
> forever?  We all know that focal length doesn't change with film
> format size, so why keep using a marketing term?  If you really feel
> the need to compare, use angle of view which is directly comparable.
> /rant

"35mm equivalent focal length" is every bit as directly comparable as
"angle of view",  They are both numerical measures which can be used
to compare different system formats, with the advantage that one of
them can be found printed on most lenses and brochures, and corresponds
to a scale which many of us have learned as a ready reference system.
I'd have to resort to a pause for thought to work out what a 30-degree
field of view was, but I reckon everybody here knows what to expect
from a lens marked as 80mm equivalent focal length.

I'd side with Winston Churchill, and opt for clarity of communication.