On Jun 11, 2011, at 22:15, Scott Loveless wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:13 PM, John Coyle <jco...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> We have bike lanes in Brisbane too, often, sensibly, between the parking
>> lane and the
>> traffic lanes.
>
> Like this?
> <https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RTTN7a8MM_Y6qZwvxy4PD7E9gr-o3kOAFcuAuy7-Ync?feat=directlink>
> It's called a door zone and it's dangerous.  Here's why:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_zone
>
> I refuse to ride in door zones, giving myself at least 4 or 5 feet
> between me and parked cars.  If that means I'm in your way, too bad.
> Your being late takes a back seat to my safety.

The new bike lanes in downtown Minneapolis are between the curb and the parking
lane.  It took the drivers SOME amount of time to get used to the idea of
parking 4 feet away from the curb... but it is sheer heaven to bike down the
road now.  All the traffic is one car's-width away.. you just need to keep an
eye out for the very-occasional passenger opening their door (but most cars,
let's face it, have ONE occupant and that's in the driver's seat).

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com
Minneapolis, MN