Tue Jun 14 23:46:25 EDT 2011
Brian Walters wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:45 -0400, "Ann Sanfedele" <annsan at nyc.rr.com>
> wrote:
> > Ive got a dell dimension running WIndoze XP  - the cable modem I have
> > now doesn't have a switch on it to merely disconnect it from the
> > net...
> >

> > Is there away to toggle back and forth with a keystroke combination or a
> > place in the control panel to mouse off and on?

John has already described that procedure.
I suspect, physically plugging/unplugging power source (at the modem
or at the wall) or the network cable might be easier.

> I dunno, but I doubt it.
>
> It seems more and more PC peripherals are lacking an on/off switch.
> Both my scanner and wireless router require the plug-pull method to turn
> them off.  Some time ago I went looking for a small on/off switch that
> could be inserted between the peripheral and the power cord.  Maybe they
> exist but I could find such a beast.
>

> Cheers
>
> Brian

Brian,

The simplest and the most abundant is a power-strip.
IKEA and some dollar stores in the US have them for $1-3.
But I am sure you know about that option.

Also, home-improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes in the US
have some sort of "smart" switches that plug in between a power plug and
the outlet; those allow one or more fancy functions: time programming,
remote control (with a remote control device or even clapping), etc)
I don't remember, but I think I saw one that was just a simple switch.

And just in case, - GFCI power outlets can be used for the same
functionality, - as they have the switch button.

HTH,

Igor