From: Mark Roberts

[Default] On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:58:30 +0300, Bulent Celasun
<bulent.cela...@gmail.com> wrote:

It seems to be capable of altering some phototographic approaches
radically. I expect dramatic contributions to macrophotography of
static objects, for example. Sports photography may need some
more time, though...

Yep. Apparently you get a ~12:1 reduction in resolution in return
for this post-shot focus capability: Your 24-megapixel sensor becomes
a 2 -megapixel sensor. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I didn't know what "plenoptic" means, so I looked it up.

I eventually ended up at a Wikipedia page about the "4D light field" ... I didn't understand all of it. Describing math that's beyond my grasp using words ain't my best subject.

But this part seems fairly simple:

In a plenoptic function, if the region of interest contains a concave
object (think of a cupped hand), then light leaving one point on the
object may travel only a short distance before being blocked by
another point on the object. No practical device could measure the
function in such a region.

It goes on to say if the locations are "restricted to outside the convex hull ... of an object", the plenoptic function can be measured by a digital camera.

Most everything I photograph is made up of both concave & convex surfaces.

How do they overcome the problem with the concave ones? If they can't then only part of the photo works.

-----
No virus found in this message.