I've been looking over the view counts that photo.net provides on my photos.

Photos I post in a gallery (GESO) get only 1/5 to 1/10 as many views as photos
posted singly (PESO).  There are several shots that languished in GESOs for
weeks with 20 views; posting them as PESOs zoomed the views to 150.

Everyone likes to have their photos seen, but sometimes single photos don't
tell the desired story, and only a gallery will do the job; but the GESO header
dooms one's photos to obscurity.

I confess that I hesitate to open GESOs myself.

Too many GESOs are far too large, repetitive, and tedious.  It's common to see
a dozen shots of runners/cyclists/motorcycles/race cars going around the same
curve, from the same angle, in the same light.  Galleries of a dozen shots of
the same flower abound.  Somewhere in all those shots there are often one or
two that are gems, but the viewer shouldn't be asked to do the editing for the
photographer.

This leads to two proposals:

First, that all of us give more attention to editing our galleries.

Second, that the subject line indicate how large the gallery is; for example,
"GESO(12) - Dog Poop" tells the viewer that twelve shots of Spot's output lurk
behind.  That might encourage more careful editing, and allay the fears of
viewers that following the link is going to keep them busy for an hour.

Now I'm going to puzzle over how best to post more Toronto pictures.

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW