I've been pretty much photographically bored lately. Not much insperation, plus I wasn't able to find the time to read the list much the last few months, (still at least 7000 messages behind).

However I a few months ago I posted a question to find a clip on lens hood for my A 24mm f2.8, since I'd bunged up the filter ring...

Well Rob Studdert came up with a good suggestion, (someone else did as well, though I don't remember who), which I almost followed. I think I've actually found a better hood for the application than the one he recommended, I'm in the process of ordering one now so I'll know in a few days, or so.

A lot of other people gave helpful advice on how to straighten a filter ring. But that really wouldn't work in this case. I don't have any before pictures, when the ring was really bunged up, but I did take one recently. This is the filter ring after it was straightened...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1604247/PDML/smcpa24filterring.html

Now I'm not complaining. I'm surprised that it looks this good. In fact I'm amazed that the lens works at all, considering how much damage I managed to do to it. When I got it back from Eric Hendrickson, <http://pentaxs.com/id3.html>, he had even painted the damaged filter ring a nice matching black, which unfortunately wore off with use over the last few months.

So there are three things to keep in mind.

1. If you've got Pentax equipment, Eric can probably repair it if it humanly possible, (keeping in mind he has no real access to new parts).

2. If I say I've bunged up a filter ring, you can be positive I didn't take half measures.

3.  You probably don't want to lend me any equipment.

--
Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.