On Jul 1, 2011, at 7:00 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>> Seems to be a done deal by the Hoya press release. I just hope it's
>>> not bad news for Ricoh owners. That would be an annoyance.
>>
>> It would be a much bigger annoyance in these parts if it were bad news for
>> Pentax owners, but I assume it will be good news for all concerned.
>
> I do hope that it is a plus for all concerned. :-)

snip

> It will be very interesting to see where this goes. I do hope it's a
> positive for everyone ... including the medical products market!

And if it isn't, I can pull a Godfrey and switch to Nikon, or whatever system
catches my fancy.  My K-5 has good enough performance for most of my
photographic needs to last me quite a few more years. By the time it wears out
there will be plenty of mirrorless systems with better performance, and
adapters, possibly even ones with screwdrive autofocus, so that I can continue
to use my lenses. There are some distinct physical advantages to a mirrorless
system, primarily the shorter registration distance allowing sharper, fast wide
glass.  I am annoyed that I don't have an f/1.4 standard.  Who knows, maybe in
a couple of years I'll have several mirrorless systems in a variety of sensor
sizes depending upon how much depth of field I want for a particular field of
view.  When I want a lot of DoF, I'll use the 4/3 sensor, when I want shallow,
I'll use the 24x36.

In the meantime, at least Ricoh has some history with K-mount lenses. I think I
actually have a Ricoh body buried in my gear someplace.