From: "P. J. Alling"
On 7/3/2011 1:39 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: William Robb

>> Look through the viewfinder before you push the button?
>> Seriously, it isn't hard to see if the camera is crooked.
>> If you have a tripod, use it.
>> If you don't have a tripod, you should be considering one as your very
>> nect photographic purchase.
>>

> I concur.
>
> However, a cheap, flimsy tripod is worse than no tripod at all.

That's in the studio.  A  flimsy tripod with you in the field is better
than a heavy tripod you left at the car because it was too heavy to carry.

"A flimsy tripod with you in the field" is simply useless, extra weight to carry. By definition "flimsy" won't get the job done. You'd actually be better off leaving it in the car.

A tripod does not have to be too heavy to carry in order to be sturdy. That's why I specified "good" is the same as "sturdy" rather than "heavy".

In the studio, I'd use a mono stand.