On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:30 -0400, "Bruce Walker" <bruce.wal...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Brian, while you are doing the other suggested things to try, make sure
> the firmware in your WD MyBook is up-to-date.  Older MyBooks had a
> number of bizarre failure modes like quietly going offline and needing a
> power cycle to "wake up".  All symptoms fixed after the 2010 vintage
> firmware update.  I have 4 WD MyBooks and all needed the firmware to
> work properly with my Macs.
>
> BTW, they are all fine now, no snooziness. (Quickly finds wood to touch
> ...)

That's interesting.  I never even considered a firmware upgrade.  I'll
check out the WD website.

I'll also follow up John's suggestion re the power supply.  WD seems to
have problems with power supplies that aren't restricted to 'My Book'.
I had a WD 'Essentials' drive (the one that died suddenly a few weeks
back).  I went through two powers supplies on that one, one of which was
replaced under warranty.  Checking on line I found that the problem was
anything but uncommon.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters