On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:39 -0700, "Mark Cassino" <markcass...@ymail.com>
wrote:
> I had 5 of these 500 gb My Books drives and they generally worked well.
> One
> drive failed and took it to a local shop and they pulled the drive and
> put it in
> a generic enclosure - worked fine with no problems. The generic enclosure
> didn't
> cost more than $25 IIRC. So - you might want to just back up the flaky
> drive and
> have it put in a new enclosure. If it still has problems then the drive
> itself
> is flaky and you may as well just get rid of it or relegate it to just
> data
> transfers or something. Otherwise, like mine, it may work fine.
>
>  I have since upgraded to a couple of 3TB drives and 2 of the 500 GB drives
> have two copies of everything - and I drop off one set of thethe drives
> at a
> local computer shop that has their own data center every few months to
> archive
> everything remotely.
>

> The remaining My Books are not getting much use - they join the 200 gb
> drives
> etc that are big enough to be useful to too small to be valuable...
>
> Good luck- --

Thanks, Mark.  I backed up the My Book a month or two back, so there's
nothing there now that's unrecoverable.  I'll try out the suggestions
offered by you and others to see if the drive can be restored. In the
meantime, I'll just use it for temporary storage.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia