Len,

I have a drive attached permanently to my LX, and it's always loaded with
film. Hence, it's always cocked. But then it gets used 2 or 3 times a
week.

Having said that, If I knew it wasn't going to be used for say at least
two or three weeks, or if I was going to leave it without any film in,
I'd click the shutter so it was not store 'in tension'. It's not an old
habit, it's common sense. A mechanical shutter, or one with mechanical
override, has a system of springs that puts some in a 'sprung' state when
the shutter is cocked. Exactly how much this is detrimental to the
longevity of such springs is debatable. With modern metal manufacturing
processes, I would guess that leaving a mechanically-timed shutter cocked
for long periods probably won't have any noticeable effect. It may just
increase the frequency with which those parts would need to be replaced?

Old habits do die hard. Lenses down, full aperture, shutter uncocked.
Well, we've all got our own little rituals haven't we!

.02
Cotty