On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:02:13AM +0200, Eckehard Wegner wrote:

> the google+ concept of circles that I can name individually is much
> nicer - I hope they'll stick to don't be evil and keep the place clean
> of ads and not get into the kind of heavy data mining and callous
> disregard for privacy as facebook does...

Oh, I'm sure Google will do very heavy data mining.  That doesn't
bother me too much - they know quite a lot about me anyway.  And in
this particular instance their interests and mine run nearly parallel.

There are going to be ads somewhere on the page.  As long as there
aren't too many, I won't be annoyed to the extent of not using the
service (and Google+ tempts me; I wouldn't touch facebook on a dare).
So both Google and I are served best by having a small number of ads
that are targeted at my interests.  And Google know what those interests
are; I visit enough websites that use Google's ad-aware services.

I've noticed that after I've browsed around looking at something new
(or, at least, not visited recently) ads for that kind of thing will
show up a lot more often in ad banners, even on apparently unrelated
web sites.