Yes, it's scary in the dark - strange odors and sounds, creaking floor
boards, eerily glowing lights.  But that's like the Tunnel of Love
compared to the last couple of days trying to process a couple of rolls
of film.

Friday night I mixed a batch of ID-11 in preparation for processing a
few rolls of film I knew I'd be shooting on Sunday.  Sunday night I
loaded the film into the tanks, and on Monday afternoon I got ready to
process them.  I poured the stock solution from the storage container
and it was brown, and smelled a little funny.  I thought I might not
have tightly fixed the cap, and that the developer had oxidized, so I
rinsed the bottle in super hot water (120+ degrees), and this morning
mixed up a batch of fresh developer.
This evening I got ready to process the film.  When I poured the
developer from the container, it was again brown.  I can't believe it
oxidized in twelve hours!

Well, it wasn't too brown, and it was freshly mixed, so i decided to
process a couple of rolls anyway - some tests I'd made to compare a
couple of lenses.  maybe not the best way to do the processing, but I
was in the mood to develop film, and if the results came out OK I'd then
process the film I shot on Sunday.

So, I grabbed the developing tank with the two test rolls in it, and
spent my half hour listening to the Shirelles and some 60s doo-wop,
opened the tank to hang the film to dry and ... bada-bing! The reels
were empty.  I grabbed the wrong tank.  It's enough to drive a man to
digital! or at least to some 25yo Springbank.

OK, now that you've heard my take of woe, what could be causing the
developer to go bad so quickly?  It looks just fine in the package, and
the solution mixes up to be clear, as it should.  Could the developer be
bad?  Could there be some contamination in the container that wasn't
cleaned out even with hot water?

Tomorrow I'm going to try to find some glass bottles, or at least get a
new brown plastic container.  Meanwhile, any thoughts on the subject
would be appreciated.  This has never happened to me before, although I
once got a bad batch of D-76, but the powder was brown when I opened the
package, and mixed up brown, too.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]