On 2011-07-24 09:14 , John Sessoms wrote:
From: Joseph McAllister
I see your system can't handle 'alt-shift-8' very well, so I'll drop it.

I have no idea what that means?

it's the Mac key sequence (alt=opt) for entering the degree symbol, which was garbled in the text you quoted from Joseph; it's not the key sequence that matters, the character was theoretically readable on your end (Joseph's email was sent in a Windows encoding); however your reply switched it to us-ascii which turns all extended characters into garble, even if they displayed correctly when you read the original message