On 11-07-28 4:18 AM, Cotty wrote:
On 26/7/11, Bruce Walker, discombobulated, unleashed:

Another shot of Iryna, our Ukrainian champion ballroom dancing neighbor
turned gardening assistant ...

(I've added the 500px.com link for those who are completely allergic to
Flickr in any form.)

Flickr fancy: http://goo.gl/cTiHG
Flickr plain: http://goo.gl/PCLiF
500px: http://goo.gl/bSM1h

K20D, DA* 50-135 @ 135mm, f/2.8, 1/250th, ISO 400.
PP: Lightroom and Photoshop CS5

Comments welcome, of course!
Bruce, the pic is great but either crop out the top of the dress
altogether or go much looser.

There's an old cameraman's trick to let his sound recordist know how
tight or loose the shot is (so the sound guy doesn't get the boom in
shot). If he changes the shot during the interview and holds out one
finger (index!) then that's 'One T' (for Teeth) so it's a fairly close
shot. Widening out he might hold out two fingers for 'Two T' (Teeth and
Tits), so we're into a medium shot now. Wider still and three fingers
denote 'Three T' - that's Teeth, Tits and Tummy. Almost like a rule of
thirds in a twisted kinda way.

Your shot is somewhere around 1.5T :)

--

Cheers,
   Cotty

___/\__
||   (O)  |     People, Places, Pastiche
----------      http://www.cottysnaps.com

Thanks for the critique, Cotty. I had pondered that dress issue myself, but nobody mentioned it so I left it as-is.

Unfortunately I can't go looser with this particular shot, it's the full uncropped image already, but I tried a crop shifting the lower-right corner inward to snip the top of the dress. That looks pretty good, I think ...

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2254722/1/PDML?h=e7f676

What I really need to do is repose this one, or something similar. I was wanting to keep a hint of decolletage, ok cleavage specifically :), but I hadn't framed low enough to include a little more dress so it wouldn't look all 1.5T. That's a great signalling protocol, BTW. Dunno why I haven't encountered it before. :-)

I took Capa's "closer" remark quite literally a while back and if anything I may be too often *too* close, going in really tight and accidentally leaving important stuff out of the frame. I have to spend more time considering my subject(s) and deciding what to keep.

Egads this photography stuff is hard work. It would be so much simpler for me to simply collect lenses and twiddle their focus rings occasionally.

Cheers, Cotty!

-bmw